Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
The ways of this world are Work, shop, compete with others by buying better things than they have, work so many hours that your office is your home. Neglect your family believing that the I pods you bought the kids show your love for them. Neglect your spouse sexually and emotionally until they go to someone else to get what they need. Drink, drug, and have affairs to try and take away your hopelessness and pain or to try and get some worth back. Get divorced and have everything you were working for taken and split in half and start all over again, possibly with someone else thinking it was the fault of the person you were with, not noticing it was actually because your focus wasn’t where it really should have been.
Gods way (:
He gives us commandments (These are demands for God’s children) for a guideline and to protect us, not to control us, to protect us. If He wanted to control you He could have and your life would have been a lot better by now. Instead we let objects, bosses, feelings, and our kids control us, messed up! My definitions come from the Websters dictionary and my explanations are how I see the commandments, God could show you more or different things.
1. You shall have no other Gods before me!
- Definition of God is a person or thing of supreme value
- Other than the obvious other Gods people worship like Buddah, relationships, children, material items, addictions among other things become Idols (false Gods) and we start to Worship them and believe they will save us from our pain, make us happy, make us feel alive etc. God created us and even planned all of our days. He is the only one who can save us and make us alive. The other things we put before Him will never fulfill us just bring us to needing more and more, putting us in more pain.
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol (false God) in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them: for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
- Definition of an Idol is a false God
- Again referring to the first commandment, if you put something other than God first in your life you will become a slave to that thing or person, believing you need them and doing anything to keep or get them. He covers everything, don’t let another God, anything or anyone in this world, or anything in creation become an idol for you. Don’t worship God using images of what we believe Him to look like or an image like a cross, this way these things don’t become our focus, we need to worship in Spirit because God is Spirit. Generation to generation things are the same until someone loves God and changes the patterns in our families.
- JOHN 4:23-24 “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.
- God is our Lord, He has done and still does things we aren’t capable of doing. He is to be honored and respected. How many people say God or Jesus Christ as a swear? Out of frustration? God is not your homie, He is your Father and Lord. Would you go to your dad and call him something in slang? If you would then you need to work on respect.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
- Definition of Sabbath is the 7Th day of the week, observed from Friday evening to Saturday evening. Did you know that Sunday is actually the first day of the week, not Monday?
- We are to rest, not work, take time out. Keep the day Holy and devoted to God who is Holy. Connect with Him, spend time with Him without work and chores getting in the way. Enjoy what He has given you, your family, the trees and flowers etc. This way we aren’t frazzled and worn out. We can refocus and reconnect in our relationship with God, family, and friends.
5. Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
- Definition of honor is a showing of entitled respect
- Our parents are entitled because God says they are, not because of what they have done for us or how they treated us, just because God says they are to be respected and honored. We will have a long good life when we do this. This was the first promise God made to us and He always fulfills His promises (:
- I don’t think God means for us to be abused and hurt by our parents. There are respectful ways to set boundaries with our parents and how they treat us. If they are God driven parents they will instruct, teach, love, encourage and lift us up. They won’t degrade, beat, and hold us back in life.
6. You shall not murder
- Definition of murder includes physical, something difficult or dangerous (traffic) or something outrageous or blameworthy (He got away with murder). Wow, the dictionary backs up scripture so well. It’s not just physical murder in the Bible either, if you hate someone it is the same as murder.
- 1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.
- If we hate each other it not only hurts the one we hate but it hurts us. It makes us angry and bitter and even brings us to physically killing people. God wants us to love each other, He is fair. He says there are no exceptions, if you hate you murder, if you murder you murder. We can’t judge people saying “Well that person is horrible because they physically murdered someone”, when we hate.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
- Definition of adultery is voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than their spouse.
- God takes marriage serious. It’s a covenant, covenants require blood. That is why a virgin bleeds when she first has sex. You are committing your lives to each other and nobody else. Your husband should love you like Jesus loves the Church (us) and we should respect our husbands. This doesn’t let single people off the hook. We are to be virgins when we marry our husbands and vice versa, if we break our hymen which is becoming “one flesh” with someone who is not our husband we are hurting God, ourselves, and the other person. We are putting distance between all parties. This is demanded because that way we unconditionally love our spouses and nobody is hurt in any way.
- Thinking of a woman lustfully is the same as actually having sex with her, you are cheating in your mind.
- Matt 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
8. You shall not steal.
- Definition of steal is to take the property of another wrongfully and especially as a habitual or regular practice
- Think of what your property is? Material items, children, spouses, time, space, and so many other things.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
- Definition of false is intentionally untrue and testimony is firsthand authentication of a fact, evidence.
- Definition of neighbor is one living or located near another, and Venus is Earth’s nearest neighbor.
- Don’t just be narrow minded and think God is only saying not to lie about the person living right next to you. The person in the cubicle next to you is your neighbor at work, the woman in the chair next to you at the salon is your neighbor at that moment etc. Basically, don’t lie or exaggerate and talk about others in a malicious way.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
- Definition of neighbor we already determined is anyone you are near
- Definition of covet is to wish for earnestly or to desire
- Don’t desire what someone else has, be content with what you have. Eve coveted, wanted the knowledge God had and started this whole mess. If you covet it will lead to wanting more and more and will lead to other sin and breaking the first 9 commandments. `Which will lead you to death.
- James 1:15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.